2.19.2006

friends & reminders :: from 20 years ago

it's not sunday. please, please, tell me that it's not sunday.

please?





*sigh*

this weekend went by far too quickly.

  • parents & older brother drove up on saturday morning and we all had dim sum at tc choy's. mmm... so yummy. i ♥ chinese broccoli.
  • out to largo for an afternoon wedding at the botanical gardens. it was beautiful out - warm 70s. i think i even got a little sunburnt.
  • the wedding was for a friend i used to play with when i was really young. maybe 7ish? i remember hiding behind their couch and sucking on a blue ink pen when all of a sudden it exploded in my mouth! it was so gross. confession: i wiped it on the back of the couch.
  • reception & dinner was insanely good - shark fin soup, abalone, duck, seaweed salad, jellyfish, shrimp, steak - we're talking "the works" - chinese buffet style.
  • it was the funniest when the the mc/dj actually introduced the "servers of hao wah restaurant;" the lights dimmed, they came out onto the dance floor carrying flaming platters of food. (!!)

all the food reminded me of:

  • outdoor banquet
    the sorta-christening party for the building my dad built in china. those are little breads in the center - the white ones are pillowy soft and the brown ones are deep fried. you dip it in the "sauce" on the edge of the plate. ("sauce" = sweetened condensed milk) i ♥ mantou.
  • keep it flowing
    my dad never lets the cups go empty

  • the ladies table, apparently
  • anthony & vince
    vincent & anthony enjoying lots of food and lots and lots of beer

  • me & vince (younger brother) with cousins who taught us how to feed grasshoppers to a baby bird when we were 8 and 5
ah. memories....


OH! and i was accepted into the school of library science at usf! the letter from the program came on saturday - the "official" letter should be following shortly from the usf graduate program. very exciting! so it seems that classes shall begin in may.

:D
i ♥ school.


then i realized in the car tonight that i have no idea if the school of library science has night classes.
...
if not, i'm going to have to start getting serious about finding a new job. i'll also have to start seeing all the doctors i can and get full use of the benefits at my current job while i can!!

12 comments:

Sleep Goblin said...

I love you! Thanks for explaining things about your dinner. I love Chinese food, and I love bread. I want some of those pillowy soft rolls!

Also, I found a crafting partner! My climbing partner has expressed interest in working with me for my store! YEA!

madge said...

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
for Kimberlina! (It is my duty to inform you that all classes, aside from online ones that you can fiddle with at any time of day/night, begin at 5:00 p.m. - some of them are even offered on Saturdays). You are safe! Hooray! You are going to be a librarian! The "field" is gaining a wonderful*wonderful newbie.

Also, your wedding party pictures too much fun and they have successfully made me hungry! BTW: there's a little dribble of ballpoint ink coming down from the corner of your mouth. You pen suckah!

kimberlina said...

sleepy - you're the best! i love talking about food, too. i've eaten some weird things for sure... glad you're not repulsed! ;)


madge - seriously, the taste of ink never. goes. away. it's pretty horrible. it was a good thing the couch fabric was nubbly enough to remove the ink stains from my hands and face. i was a drooling maniac. i can't believe you're leaving me in december. i was totally going to lean on you for library science homework. who will i copy from now? *laugh*

b.o.b.i. - sometimes, you just gotta have an all-you-can-eat-chinese-king-buffet experience. and can i also say i'm so happy you liked sushi? sushi RULES. but being post-grad... rules not quite so much.

fb said...

Congrats on your acceptance!

Whoa! Look at that spread! I want some, I want lots!

Not allowed as much Chinese Broccoli as before :(

kimberlina said...

fb - thanks thanks! sorry to hear you can't have so much chinese broccoli - hopefully it'll make the times you do have it that much better. it's always a good day when you can get some quality chinese broccoli (w/o sandy bits).

joe - i know it, right? ::sob::

Tits McGee said...

Mmm...dim sum.

Me and my hubby took our kid to her first dim sum (and dancing dragons!) in celebration of Chinese New Year. She had a blast and stuffed her face. I ate many, many more steamed barbequed pork buns than I should have. *drools*

Congrats on the acceptance!

Willie Baronet said...

Congrats about school!! Awesome.

And dim sum rocks. Yum.

Bee said...

Kimberlina!

How excited I am for you!!! My friend Sally is going back for her masters in Library Science too. Smallish world!

I took one look at those pictures and was suddenly ravenous. Dammit!

dwb

kimberlina said...

tits - hurrah for dancing dragons! and chinese new year! and steamed pork buns! dim sum and good oolong tea makes me insanely happy.

rose - oof, working on a sunday? never a good thing.

rrramone - thanks! and i love when others have heard of dim sum and love it, too. we eat it every day when i go to china.

bee - huzzah! more librarians! apparently a growing field. librarians rock. hmm.. dwb? ...dweeb?

FRITZ said...

When we come to Naples to get hitched, you should so pop over and give us a crash course on all this yummy food.

CONGRATS on becoming a LIBRARIAN! Are you and Madge going to hang out?? HOW COOL!

Wish I could become a librarian!
Or a doctor.
Or a pilot.
Anyway...GOOD FOR YOU!

kimberlina said...

fritz - actually, me & madge have *already* hung out! wahoo! she's joined our gfss gang. we hope to dine this thursday on good food and drink good wine.

crystal - hahaha! that's so awesome. i'd blame my cats... but they're just so cute...

Meghan said...

hahaha, your family gatherings remind me of my own... except it's more wine, and no nifty pillow breadrolls. mmm.... bread... ok, dinnertime. cheers!

---MB