4.04.2006

artist date

so, in the book, the artist's way, the author says that you should take yourself out once a week on an "artist's date." spend $5 on silly things, like stickers and gold stars.

and last night, that's just what i did!

wait a minute... did it say $5? because i totally spent $50.

and it was truly 10 times better than just $5. some bamboo knitting needles, fabric, new rotary blades - it was an artist's date to remember!


i very much needed the fabric. on sunday night, i was wholly overcome by a fit of motivation and started cutting fabric for 2 brown robot bags. woohoo! cut cut cut, slice slice slice.... oh shit. and then i ran out of brown fabric. aiiieeee!

and of course, the store didn't have the exact same fabric i had bought 2 years ago, could you believe it? alas. hopefully i will be overcome soon and recut the fabric one of these nights. just not this night. i went to bed at 2:30 am and am stupidly exhausted right now. i wouldn't be surprised to be drooling on the keyboard and my hands.

13 comments:

Tits McGee said...

Robot bags? Did you say "robot bags?" I must know more about this immediately, for I heart both robots and bags.

kimberlina said...

tits - well, just simple brown messenger type bag with a blue inner lining with lots of robots! and little robots on the outside. really, one of the first bags i ever made, and i love it. mine is all ratty and worn, but i'll treasure it always. robots rock hardcore! yea!

Spinning Girl said...

I did (& loved) The Artist's Way. Later I got annoyed at Julia C., but only because she was making me see things I didn't want to see about myself.

Before attempting Pigs in Heaven, one must read The Bean Trees to understand about the girl (Turtle).

Also -- Prodigal Summer? If you have not read it, you must.

kimberlina said...

sg - i think that's the one with the bird on the cover? i'm totally superficial in that i will often pick books with pretty and/or intriguing covers. this sometimes gets me into trouble. i'll have to try it, though!

Bee said...

Ro-Ro-ROBOT BAGS?!?

I'm preordering mine, NOW!

You know how much I love robots!

madge said...

It makes me happy to know that you treated yourself on an artist's date! There is nothing finer than new rotary blades. And new fabric. And bamboo knitting needles! Ahhhh - crafting. I heart it.

Sleep Goblin said...

Can I borrow that book?

Spinning Girl said...

No, no bird. That is Small Wonder (short stories). Prodigal Summer is green, with leaves. It beautifully ties together three seemingly unrelated characters and (of course) the natural world. It will not disappoint.

Shanshu said...

Ok, so this is 100% NOT related to you post about art and fabric and robot bags: sushi sucks.

Ok I'm done.


:)

Willie Baronet said...

You go girl! I'm a big fan of the artist's way. You are going to start sketching like a crazy person!

fb said...

I WANT! I WANT! I WANT ROBOTO BAG!!!!


Please?

kimberlina said...

bee & fb - awww! and you haven't even seen it yet! guess i'll be working on those this weekend. maybe even buying more fabric. must... start.. craft... business. must... escape... "the man"...

madge - me too, i heart it, too. it's very soothing - i love getting busy with my hands. *winkwink*

sleep - come on down and get it! :) maybe your library has it? i haven't gotten very far, but so far it's good. anything that'll get one out of a creative rut is a plus.

spinning grrrl - hm, i'll have to try it. a lot of people recommended some other books to me a long while back... must find.. old... post...

... oi. lots of ellipses tonight. ...

shanshu - aiieee!! you break my heart!

rrrrrramone - i'm actually planning on doing sketchwalks with my friend rachel. i think our first stop will be the zoo. i'm horrifically excited!

FRITZ said...

Okay, so, what's a robot bag?

And: I'm not even an artist and I get consumed with art supplies. So, you are an artist and have license to buy buy buy! all that cool stuff!