8.15.2006

madge's posts prod my sleepy brain

i have an exceedingly limited memory.

maybe it's because i'm selfish, because i live in the now. either way, it can cause ample frustration.

my childhood is a blur. and by childhood, i mean birth to 6th or 7th grade. zero to twelve or thirteen.

let's see how much i can remember:

  • earliest memory is of my mother. we are in china and i am on the floor; she is getting her palms read. i am really really young, maybe 2. i remember the color red.
  • the smell of the kindergarden mats my class would nap on. the sound of the room as i would try to fall asleep. trying to fall asleep w/o a pillow, which made my body seem to fall in weird angled ways.
  • that pink flouride mouthwash! ugh! and we would all fake swishing it in our mouths by pretending to pour it into our mouths, then smooshing paper towels into the little cup to quickly soak that crap up.
  • when they would do lice searches, those little sticks would feel so soothing on my scalp. and i liked the way they crunched when broken.
  • i'm pretty sure i stole a book from the book fair by putting it in my pants. and i remember the thin feel of the colored newsprint they would print the book fair catalog on.
  • russell in elementary school. i'm pretty sure he had a mullet. he used to tease me so i would whip him w/ my hair which was often braided in a ponytail down my back.
  • calvin had a last name at the end of the alphabet, like mine. how i hated to square dance with him in music class!
  • my mom used to pack little notes for me in my lunchbox, folded like little pinwheels. also, pickles in a bag. i freaking loved pickles. still do.
  • one of our babysitters used to lock us up if we didn't eat her split pea soup, which was NASTY. to this day, i have a really hard time eating peas. she would make us take naps on a down mattress, which sounds lovely, but was actually super itchy. i would feel with my fingers for the little feather nubs and pull out as many feathers as i was surreptitiously able and hide them under the mattress in pea-hating spite.

some songs from the ipod and not last.fm (username: gimchi)

  • she's always there - trembling blue stars, her handwriting
  • i slept w/ bonhomme at the cbc - broken social scene, feel good lost
  • thermostat - aloha, here comes everyone
  • sugar water - her space holiday, home is where you hang yourself
  • toy gun anthem - boy sets fire, the day the sun went out SKIPPED
  • panic - the smiths, louder than bombs
  • blacking out the friction - death cab for cutie, the photo album
  • all the umbrellas in london - the magnetic fields, get lost
  • the bagman's gambit - the decemberists, picaresque
  • perfect on paper - her space holiday, manic expressive
  • a fate delivered - the appleseed cast, perregrine
  • the-lived-but-yet-named - karate, unsolved
  • colossus - red room cinema, new ep
  • nel blu dipinto di blu - domenico modugno
  • instr 1 - seven storey mountain, dividing by zero
  • the last days of a tragic allegory - saxon shore, be a bright blue
  • phone call - yann tiersen, amelie
  • his sailing days are over but he can't forget the sea - the timeout drawer, a difficult future
  • until we meet again - seldom, romance
  • magic dance - david bowie
  • superheroes of bmx - mogwai, government comissions
  • bicycle - queen
  • 16.12 - mono, walking cloud and deep red sky, flag fluttered and the sun shined
  • decorate the spine - knapsack, day three of my new life
  • hanging on a thread - pop unknown, if arsenic fails, try algebra

5 comments:

Sleep Goblin said...

Sooo... I've gotten over my fear of ruining your pretty little bag, and now I'm addicted. I need like.. 10, so that no matter what I'm doing, I can put stuff in a pretty little bag. Get working missy!

Tits McGee said...

You are delicious.

Is my robot bag ready yet? I'm going over to your store to find out.

Meghan said...

i always wanted to get a note from my mom in my lunchbox... but she worked full time, and had my little sister to take care of, so lunchboxes were usually filled by yours truly.

or my dad. but he made me peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and once my sister had said she liked them, i was having NOTHING to do with them.

---MB

madge said...

Hoorah for the random memory generator...!

that pink flouride mouthwash! ugh!

DITTO! This brings back so so so many memories. I remember they switched to chewable flouride tablets in the fifth grade that tasted a lot like raspberry candies. Mmm.

Tits McGee said...

Speaking of Madge and sleep, I totally had a dream last night about you, me, and Madge being in a scavenger hunt together in Miami.

I've never been to Miami.

I'm a little drunk.

I love you.