5.10.2006

i can see clearly now... i can see all obstacles in my way...

obstacles such as the bottom step of the stairs.

i've worn glasses since the 5th grade when it was realized that i couldn't see the board from the first row. "i don't need glasses mom, i can see the board if i squint really hard." (hello astigmatism!)

and it's definitely genetic. my mom needed glasses when she was young as well. although her parents didn't believe her at first; they thought she was lying. they realized that she really needed lenses and wasn't just trying to get attention when she was outside with her dad one night and said, "oh, look at the beautiful moon!" and he had to tell her that she was actually looking at a streetlight.

so it's a really weirdly big deal that i just got contacts yesterday! they feel super wacky. and my eyelids keep pushing them around and my eyes feel drier. and sunlight seems brighter.

and i can see my naked face clearly for the first time since the 5th grade.

man, i am asian!

it's kind of weird, i know, but i've never thought i looked asian. i have problems. glasses seemed to make my face seem less asian; they were easy to hide behind. in any case, i am totally ready to embrace my asian-ness. because having kids call me chink or make "chinese-sounding" gobble-dy gook (no pun intended) noises didn't tip me off in grade school. who wanted to be asian because it was so uncool? we had dirty knees.

i'm hoping i can take a mandarin class at usf in the fall. because lord knows i'm not going to teach myself.

in the meantime, though, i'm driving anthony crazy with my question of, "is this normal? what about when this happens? is that common-place? is it supposed to be like this?" *laugh*

7 comments:

fb said...

Contacts are a funny thing...I used to wear them for a time whilst at school but then stopped because i really couldn't be arsed with cleaning etcetera.

Then disposables were invented but I only ever wore them when I attempted to play sports and since my knee and then my heart decided I couldn't do sports I haven't worn any since.

My vanity is no longer what it was and so it is I spend a long time when picking out a pair of frames to wear for they last 2 years or more...

So do we see photos of your new look?

Christopher D. Bate said...

Personally, i love girls in glasses. I couldn't imagine what contacts are like because I hate putting my fingers anywhere near my eyes!
You look good, glasses or not.

Tits McGee said...

Well, I'll be damned, sexy Asian lady. Contacts, huh?

Been wearing my glasses since sixth grade, and have not yet been tempted by contacts, because I so embrace my geekiness and live to prove the adage about "boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses" wrong.

But you may have inspired me here. "Naked face" sounds kinda kinky.

::winks, giggles::

Sleep Goblin said...

I switched to contacts in high school, because cheerleading with glasses was very dangerous, and after a while, going without sight just wasn't feasible anymore.

I still always have a current prescription in glasses, and occasionally I'll wear them around because I do like them, but I mostly get annoyed at having them sit there on my nose all day. Periphreal (sp?) vision is cool. Though I'm sure I get more headaches because of the contacts...

kimberlina said...

fb - i have to admit that i love wearing glasses. i've started getting indents where my glasses rest, though, so i figured i might take a break. hopefully i'll post a pic this weekend!

christopher - aw, thanks. :) mostly it just takes some getting used to. 15 yrs of glasses and i'm ready for a change. i like the idea that i can switch between the two.

tits - boys do make passes at girls who wear glasses. if you make a disgusted chuffing noise like i do, they might wander off or avert their eyes. hehe.

sleep - you were a cheerleader!? crazy. wisconsin cheerleaders are way cooler than ones in florida, apparently!

Sleep Goblin said...

well, i'm from kentucky. but i was the outcast, so don't let my awesomeness fool you into a false sense of "cheerleaders aren't all dumb and whore-like" because i promise you, most of them were.

that's why i quit after my sophomore year in high school. but middle school? those were the days, and i have the national championship medal to prove it!

madge said...

glasses! your cute square glasses are no longer?! what!!??