10.06.2006

the part of the poisonwood bible that always hits me in the gut (i.e. makes me cry and wonder about the strangeness of life and happiness and guilt):

the belly of the plane groaned open and we were delivered abruptly into the benign spring air of fort benning, georgia.

it is impossible to describe the shock of return. i recall that i stood for the longest time staring at a neatly painted yellow line on a neatly formed cement curb. yellow yellow line line. i pondered the human industry, the paint, the cement truck and the concrete forms, all the resources that had gone into that one curb. for what? i could not quite think of the answer. so that no car would park there? are there so many cars that america must be divided into places with and places without them? was it always so, or did they multiply vastly, along with telephones and new shoes and transistor radios and cellophane-wrapped tomatoes, in our absense?

5 comments:

kimberlina said...

i think it's one of those things where.... you have to read the book to really feel the impact. ;)

madge said...

This has been on my list - I appreciate the excerpt!

...You know you're in library school when...

Monkey said...

I loved loved loved that book. Read it twice.

Sleep Goblin said...

I haven't read that one, but thanks to Spinning Girl (the angel that she is) I've read Prodigal Summer, which I believe is by the same author.

kimberlina said...

madge - i have too many books on my list, far too many

monkey - this is my 2nd time, too. *sigh*

slelep - i have yet to read that one. ha! guess what, it's on my list. ;)