5.08.2007

vibrate

ok. what i said before about murakami's short stories? and possibly liking his novels better? i lied. i really enjoy his short stories a lot. some of them feel so amazing. emotionally visceral? i don't know. i find that they're either really incredible and poignant, or "eh."

so anyways. i only rode the school bus a few times in elementary school. after that, i was able to get my mom to drive me. i blame my tendency to get extremely motion sick very easily (i.e. on treadmills), but i am sure it also had to do with my intense shyness as a child. i remember the way my eardrums would tickle when i'd lean my head on the window as the bus drove along. that rattling bumpiness of the glass on my temple. and then i'd rub the tickle out and do it again.

this is exactly how i felt last night listening to mono at the social in orlando. they're a post-rock band from japan. apparently, they weren't as loud as they had been in the past. david described them as being "blisteringly loud." even with earplugs, my eardrums were tickled! i could feel my ribcage and the fabric of my pants vibrating with noise. thank you, earplugs! the female bassist had amazing hair. what's up with boys and female bassists? actually, all the band members had amazing hair.

they played w/ the grails, who were also excellent, and world's end girlfriend, who had moments of good, punctuated with overlong intervals of experimental noise. i can't do experimental noise. i just can't.

No comments: