6.21.2006

girlfriend sweatshop weekend wonders

sewing, relaxation, spumanti, tomatoes, pasta, chocolate, quilting, rotary cutters, fabric heaven.... that's how i'd describe my past weekend.

gainesville is always the best location for girlfriend sweatshop city-wide. mainly because meaghan has her own house and it's pretty big. she's got a crapload of cutting mats, a second sewing machine, a huge quilting table on wheels, extraneous craft supplies, craft knowledge and craft know-how.

unfortunately, rachel couldn't make it, so it was me, erika, virginia and meaghan. oh, and craig for about a half-day. that boy will go into his job at night and work until 12 am! "wtf?!" as erika would declare, in her internet-acronym-loving way.

erika and i drove in on thursday night (i called out of work on friday - mwahahahaha) and the relaxation and eating commenced. friday was shopping day in which each of us spent anywhere from $50 to $130 on incredible fabric. i learned what "fat quarters" were (as opposed to "long quarters") and quickly became obsessed. little bits of fabric! perfect for little bags! it was only afterwards that meaghan explained that by only buying fat quarters, you often pay as much as $10/yd for fabric. oops!

seriously, i am so in love w/ my fabric. hopefully i'll have pictures soon, i dropped off 3 rolls at max color and will drop off more when i pick them up. let me go count how many i have... only 5. that's reassuring.

i could go on and on about this lovely lovely fantastico weekend, but i shan't bore you with all the details. here's a truncated list:
  • meaghan learned me on how to correctly use my rotary mat & cutter
  • erika and virginia made some beautiful quilts in but a single weekend
  • we played three games of celebrity
    • we gave ourselves team names at first - bras vs. skins
    • you can only guess at what that means
    • 4 girls? no boys? OH yeah
    • virginia and i won the last game, even after i had a few shots of amaretto goodness to console the fact that i kind of (really) suck at guessing (but i totally rock at giving clues)
  • i got to eat delicious food and peach daquiris
  • insanely good homemade ice cream at sweet dreams (spicy mayan chocolate?! yum!)
  • i am in love w/ erika's email she sent pre-gfss-citywide:
    • Holy Fuck. I don't check my email for a week and am flooded with a melange (I don't really know if this is the right word, but it sounds good) of sewing-jargon.
      I am so excited about learning to quilt! My life-long dream for nigh three years! Although I must say Meaghan, I'm a little puzzled why you bothered to send that last email to me, too. I mean for the love of god, do you really think I am capable of picking out fabric on my own? You should have sent me a seperate email saying: "Dearest Erika (my favorite), I will walk you through every part of the quilting process baby-step style. I will have with me several elixers to calm your addled brain. Fear not, my love. Sincerely, Your Biggest Fan, Meaghan". Furthermore, I was a little worried by the words you used to describe quilting, i.e.: "time" and "work". I hope you were just kidding about that.
      Also, here's a heads up: if there's time, I'm going to trick you into "helping" me make a skirt and showing me how to hem some pants. Just so you know. You really can't refuse me, I'm just too cute.
      Love,
      P.S. - Steak, veal, and ground beef sound great to me. In fact, why stop with just one type of meat? I find it's ofttimes better to mix 2 or more meats together per meal. The more dead animals the better, I always say! Meaghan: if you need some more meat, I have a few hours today I could go round us up some wild pig-a-lets with my bb gun down by the crick.
      P.P.S. - I'll be there Thursday around 7 or 8!
      P.P.P.S - I will steal my mother's sewing machine.
    • and i daresay she's been a vegetarian since the tender age of 3
i can't even explain how heavenly the weekend was.

a great end. since this will be one of the last gfss weekends with virginia, who is soon to be moving to england. and erika will be living in italy for a few weeks, as well.

at least i was awash in girly estrogen happiness. until i got my period on the 21st.

let's just say i am highly considering continuous contraception.

anyways. shower now. then perhaps cleaning and sleep. alcohol soothes all stresses about classwork and assignments. why are motivation and passion so hard to come by? regarding work and your job, of course. *sigh*

que sera, sera.

6 comments:

Bee said...

You need to tell me all about the rotary cutter, every time I go to the fabric stores I think about getting one.

I've been sewing like a madwoman lately, it beats having to make new friends?

And the nuva ring is actually pretty good contraception, for me anyway.

Tits McGee said...

Oooooh! That sounds like so. Much. Fun.

Sleep Goblin said...

I'm really wishing I was a girlfriend sweatshop member... *crying*

madge said...

I love buying my fabric in thirds. It's the (secret) perfect cut!

Ummmm, Erika is pretty damn funny.

Periods are only good when you get them before vacations. Otherwise, they suck.

FRITZ said...

i so wanted to be there--i'll bring my knitting next time.

Madge: you hooker! come back!

Kimberlina, I had a dream about you last night but I can't remember what it was about....

kimberlina said...

bee - i'll make a little post about it. :) and i've heard lots of good things about the nuva ring...

tits - oh yes, it was it was!

sleep - you obviously need to be a stewardess for an airline so you can fly down whenever you want!

madge - i might start doing that! 1/4 does seem rather small... and i heart erika. she's the cutest.

fritz - oh, you can teach me hats! i'm afraid to try anything w/ bendy lines...