11.13.2009

meaghan's infamous quiche {recipe}

Hello ladies,

For over a year have i promised my quiche recipe, which is so easy I almost think it is not worth writing down. I am currently eating a piece, Owen is napping, so here goes:

Basic Quiche recipe:
1 pie crust (9", I always use Pillsbury from the refrigerator section.)
4 large eggs
1 c cheese (at least)
2 c milky liquid (see below)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
whatever else you feel like adding


"Milky Liquid": the original recipe calls for heavy cream or half & half, but that is too many calories for me. I use a combo of milk products equaling 2 c- maybe 1/2 c skim, 1 1/4c whole, 1/4 heavy, etc. Depends on how good I want to be. The only rule of thumb is the less fat in the milk, the longer you cook it for and at a slightly higher temp. If the quiche is too wet, you can always microwave each piece uncovered to dry it out before serving. C and I will do this, but I won't do this in front of company.

I use quiche as a way to use up odds and ends of leftovers in my fridge, esp. when I have a hodge podge of cheese bits ( I use shredded and sliced). Some of my fav. combos:
  • Spinach, provolone, goat cheese, mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, basil (today i'm eating that with some leftover rotisserie chx added in)
  • Ham, yellow and orange cheeses, mozzarella, rosemary, sliced tomatoes, sweet corn
  • Broccoli, tomato, green pepper, sausage

chopped onions go with everything, and finely minced summer squash or zucchinis add veggies without changing texture or taste too much.

Essentially, I always add the following to my quiche:
  • sliced tomatoes, heavily salted and peppered to release moisture before cooking
  • garlic powder
  • a green veggie (frozen box from publix, microwaved w/ moisture drained out)
  • a meat (unneccessary, but nice for meat eater men to feel like they are having real food)- shaved lunch meat is great if you don't have leftovers
  • fresh herbs on top added the last 5 minutes of cooking- not only to identify what's in each quiche if I have multiples, and a vegetarian on the premises, but b/c it looks fancy-schmancy. I almost exclusively use basil, rosemary and parsley b/c that's what I have in the garden.

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oven to 425

2. Place pie crust in pan, preparing it for fillings
3. Put fillings in pie crust. no technique other than "dump and distribute"
4. Beat eggs slightly in large bowl, add milk and spices, beat to combine (fork beating, not with mixer)
5. Pour egg mixture into pie crust.
6. Cover crust for first 15 minutes of baking-
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, turn oven down to 300 (full fat) or 325 (lighter version) and cook for 30- 45 more minutes depending on fat content. The middle should be mostly set, but lower fat quiches may never have a solid set center.

Enjoy the longest easiest recipe ever.

No comments: